Even if the brewery gets old, do not let the inside of the brewery get old.
“We cannot help the brewery as a structure to get old over time, but we should never let the sake made inside that brewery and the hearts of the people producing it get old.”
These are the words left by the 8th master of our family. Inheriting his spirit, we still continue to always look ahead and pursue the best quality sake without ever letting our passion fade.
- Matsumoto Shuzo
- 7 Yokooji Misu Daikokucho, Fushimi-ku, Kyoto, 612-8205 JAPAN
We aim not only to create distinctive sakes that respect the essence of Kyoto’s unique food culture, but also to preserve our traditions as a company rooted in the local community.
We are proud to work at a brewery that has the distinction of being designated both a Heritage of Industrial Modernization and Tangible Cultural Property of Japan. Our mission is to pass on this heritage to future generations.
- Sake brewing business founded in Shichijo Honmachi, Kyoto.
- Brewery moved by Jihei VII to the company’s current site in Yokooji Misudaikoku-cho, Fushimi Ward.
- Company reorganized as Matsumoto Sake Brewery Co.
- Construction of warehouse completed. Old timber brewery designated a Historic Design Building by Kyoto City.
- Matsumoto Sake Brewery designated a Tangible Cultural Property by Japan’s Agency for Cultural Affairs, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.
- Rice milling facilities completed.